From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: Why lastrite when it works? (Was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages up for grabs due to retirement)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 15:23:13
1 On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 9:57 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > For security's sake, even mature software needs, at minimum, routine auditing.
4 > Unless someone's doing that work, the package should be considered for
5 > removal. (Call that reason # π, in honor of TeX.)
8 Are you suggesting that we should ban any package from the tree if we
9 don't have evidence of it having recently being subjected to a
10 security audit? We might literally have 3 packages left in the tree
11 in that case, probably not including the kernel (forget the GNU/Linux
12 debate, we might be neither).
13
14 The fact that a project gets 47 commits and 100 list posts a week
15 doesn't mean that it is being security audited, or that security is
16 any kind of serious consideration in how their workflow operates.
17
18 I tend to be firmly in the camp that a package shouldn't be removed
19 unless there is evidence of a serious bug (and that includes things
20 blocking other Gentoo packages). If somebody wants to come up with a
21 "curated" overlay or some way of tagging packages that are considered
22 extra-secure that would be a nice value-add, but routine auditing is
23 not a guarantee we provide to our users. The lack of such an audit
24 should not be a reason to treeclean.
27 Rich