From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Why lastrite when it works? (Was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages up for grabs due to retirement)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 16:11:57
1 On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 10:23:02 AM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 9:57 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > For security's sake, even mature software needs, at minimum, routine
4 > > auditing. Unless someone's doing that work, the package should be
5 > > considered for removal. (Call that reason # π, in honor of TeX.)
6 >
7 > Are you suggesting that we should ban any package from the tree if we
8 > don't have evidence of it having recently being subjected to a
9 > security audit?
10
11 Of course not. Full security audits are stupid expensive, be it in terms of
12 money, time or labor. It Would Be Nice if they at least periodically got
13 subjected to -Werror -Wall from time to time, or at least a linter check, or
14 some tie-in to Coverity, with the results considered, but even that's going to
15 be too much to ask an upstream to accept patches for.
16
17 Besides, there are going to be vulnerabilities that come from combinations of
18 packages and their environments; something that's fine on x86 might have a
19 critical vulnerability on arm. Something that's fine on x86_64 might have a bug
20 that only presents itself in a constrained address space like x86. Something
21 that's generally fine on its own might have a subtle bug that only manifests
22 when a particular version of another package's headers are present at build
23 time.
24
25 It's ludicrous to be absolutist about security. As I remarked to someone the
26 other day, there are always more things to fix or secure than you'll have
27 resources to follow though on. If someone one think a system is as secure as
28 it can possibly be, then they're not as clever as they think they are.
29
30 > We might literally have 3 packages left in the tree
31 > in that case, probably not including the kernel (forget the GNU/Linux
32 > debate, we might be neither).
33 >
34 > The fact that a project gets 47 commits and 100 list posts a week
35 > doesn't mean that it is being security audited, or that security is
36 > any kind of serious consideration in how their workflow operates.
37
38 I'm sure we all remember Heartbleed.
41 > I tend to be firmly in the camp that a package shouldn't be removed
42 > unless there is evidence of a serious bug (and that includes things
43 > blocking other Gentoo packages). If somebody wants to come up with a
44 > "curated" overlay or some way of tagging packages that are considered
45 > extra-secure that would be a nice value-add,
46
47 Ideas like this is one reason I'm looking for a corpus of pros and cons for
48 treecleaning. I don't see it as black and white. But having ideas like these
49 brought up is at least useful.
50
51 > but routine auditing is
52 > not a guarantee we provide to our users. The lack of such an audit
53 > should not be a reason to treeclean.
54
55 I'm not trying to drive a "clean all the things" campaign. Rather, I'm
56 principally interested in having a list of the standard arguments one way or
57 another, for reference in the inevitable "why should this get cleaned up? It
58 works." threads.
59
60 There's an old joke that goes something like this:
61
62 > Joe is going to his first comedian's convention. He's excited to see all
63 > these funny people in person.
64
65 > The opening session begins with Robert, who gets up and says, "42!" Everyone
66 > busts a gut laughing. Then Susan gets up and says, "73!" Again, everyone
67 > laughs.
68
69 > Joe asks the guy next to him, "What's going on? I don't get it."
70
71 > "Oh, you see, everyone's heard all the same jokes over and over, so to save
72 time, they reference them by number."
73
74 > "Ah! Let me give it a try."
75
76 > Joe stands up and says, "3!" Nobody laughs. Embarassed, Joe sits back down.
77
78 > "I don't understand," Joe says to the guy next to him. Why didn't anyone
79 > laugh? Was 3 a poor joke?
80
81 > "Oh, no, 3 is fine, but the key is in the timing!"
82
83 Essentially, I'm looking for the joke book. Because these recurring threads
84 would be a lot more interesting and less time-consuming and frictive if
85 recurring material could be quickly identified and referenced. And then someone
86 who still has a point to make can say, "Well, 3 is more important than 7, and
87 here's why." And then have less spilling of words and boiling of blood
88 irritating everyone and hardening positions before we get to consider
89 something new.