From: Alice Ferrazzi <alicef@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Why lastrite when it works? (Was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages up for grabs due to retirement)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 15:41:55
1 On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 12:23 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 9:57 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> For security's sake, even mature software needs, at minimum, routine auditing.
5 >> Unless someone's doing that work, the package should be considered for
6 >> removal. (Call that reason # π, in honor of TeX.)
9 > Are you suggesting that we should ban any package from the tree if we
10 > don't have evidence of it having recently being subjected to a
11 > security audit? We might literally have 3 packages left in the tree
12 > in that case, probably not including the kernel (forget the GNU/Linux
13 > debate, we might be neither).
14 >
15 > The fact that a project gets 47 commits and 100 list posts a week
16 > doesn't mean that it is being security audited, or that security is
17 > any kind of serious consideration in how their workflow operates.
18 >
19 > I tend to be firmly in the camp that a package shouldn't be removed
20 > unless there is evidence of a serious bug (and that includes things
21 > blocking other Gentoo packages). If somebody wants to come up with a
22 > "curated" overlay or some way of tagging packages that are considered
23 > extra-secure that would be a nice value-add, but routine auditing is
24 > not a guarantee we provide to our users. The lack of such an audit
25 > should not be a reason to treeclean.
26
27 +1
30 > --
31 > Rich
37 アリス フェッラッシィ
38 Alice Ferrazzi
39
40 Gentoo, If it moves, compile it!
41 My_overlay: https://github.com/aliceinwire/overlay
42 Gentoo Euscan: http://goo.gl/YNbU3h
43 Mail: Alice Ferrazzi <alicef@g.o>
44 PGP: 2E4E 0856 461C 0585 1336 F496 5621 A6B2 8638 781A