From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Why lastrite when it works? (Was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages up for grabs due to retirement)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 16:59:46
1 On 01/03/2017 10:41 AM, Alice Ferrazzi wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 12:23 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 9:57 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> For security's sake, even mature software needs, at minimum, routine auditing.
6 >>> Unless someone's doing that work, the package should be considered for
7 >>> removal. (Call that reason # π, in honor of TeX.)
8 >>>
9 >>
10 >> Are you suggesting that we should ban any package from the tree if we
11 >> don't have evidence of it having recently being subjected to a
12 >> security audit? We might literally have 3 packages left in the tree
13 >> in that case, probably not including the kernel (forget the GNU/Linux
14 >> debate, we might be neither).
15 >>
16 >> The fact that a project gets 47 commits and 100 list posts a week
17 >> doesn't mean that it is being security audited, or that security is
18 >> any kind of serious consideration in how their workflow operates.
19 >>
20 >> I tend to be firmly in the camp that a package shouldn't be removed
21 >> unless there is evidence of a serious bug (and that includes things
22 >> blocking other Gentoo packages). If somebody wants to come up with a
23 >> "curated" overlay or some way of tagging packages that are considered
24 >> extra-secure that would be a nice value-add, but routine auditing is
25 >> not a guarantee we provide to our users. The lack of such an audit
26 >> should not be a reason to treeclean.
27 >
28 > +1
29
30 >> Rich
31
32 Not only do I agree with those sentiments express here (Rich's
33 sentiments), I have an additional prospective. I have been deeply
34 following the development of clusters, particularly "in-house" clusters
35 run on less than a dozen systems. There are an endless number of uses
36 for such clusters, kinda like the modern version of when "X" servers
37 were all the rage decades (and decades) ago, at the very least. In fact
38 the cluster space for in-house clusters, imho, will eventually end up,
39 being a collection of tarballs (stage-4s in gentoo case) that are
40 customized for thousands of finely tuned, secure needs. "Unikernels" is
41 the current buzzword, that docker and others have been using. [1] and
42 have a tightly and minimized framework. Folks that work for "Cloud
43 Vendors" should understand that if individuals and small companies are
44 able to build and run localize, small clusters, then is very easy and
45 comfortable for them to expand into hybrid clusters and become
46 comfortable with outsourcing to the cloud. Many larger companies I
47 consult with or have conversations with, are still uncomfortable with
48 "cloud" anything. In-house clusters are the gateway to growing the
49 entire cloud business, imho.
52 Many of those old and stable codes, that lots of folks are so keen on
53 purging from the tree, are actually quite useful and easy to secure,
54 for such custom frameworks. Those frameworks can easily be packaged up
55 into a stage-4 or a forked gentoo distro or implemented via any number
56 of deployment methods, included CoreOS's fleet, recently added to
57 portage. Security is the pivotal issue with clusters, whether they are
58 in-house or outsourced (the cloud/Paas/Saas/etc) imho.
61 So keeping those old codes around makes my life easier and more
62 interesting. Sure I can go to these old codes and resurrect most, as
63 needed, but why be vindictive by purging things that are old? Does the
64 younger and more progressive devs in gentoo really want to purge old
65 C-hacks like me from the community? I do not mean to offend anyone, but
66 it just seems to me to be just plain unjustified purging useful that are
67 currently not popular codes, and that hurts me on a personal basis. Us
68 'old farts' are the unix historians, here at gentoo; perhaps the more
69 aggressive devs will consider being 'politically correct' towards old
70 farts that have decades and decades of history, with these old codes?
73 Newer codes are valuable too, but often they add a layer of complexity
74 and many attack surfaces, that older codes do not suffer from. So, I
75 would hope we err on the side of keeping ebuilds of old codes around as
76 long as possible, despite the download count. My work is liable to take
77 another year or two to bear fruit, but that's not even the point. I
78 would be excited if we could just move these old packages to an overlay,
79 if/when they do have to be pruned from the gentoo-proper tree. Perhaps
80 the new GLEP on formalizing forking gentoo, will lead to a gentoo-legacy
81 fork, just for historical and nostalgic reasons?
84 I'm betting that these old codes are much more useful than most have
85 figured, but it's going to take some time to establish this performance
86 and superior security postulate, as I use 'old-fart' methodologies.....
89 hth,
90 James
91
92 [1] http://unikernel.org/blog/2015/unikernels-meet-docker