From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mozilla: Firebird-bin & Firebird-cvs
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 19:21:33
1 On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 11:13:58AM -0700, George Shapovalov wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 28 May 2003 07:06, Jon Portnoy wrote:
3 > > Policy is to avoid naming conflicts by using different names whenever
4 > > possible.
5 > Um, I don't think we have any policy on this matter. I was bringing this issue
6 > about a month ago and found that some devs believe we cannot have duplicate
7 > names (or avoid them whereever possible) others think oterwise...
8 > There was a thread initiated by not very happy user whose ebuild was renamed
9 > with the explanation that portage cannot reliably deal with this situation,
10 > however later on he found two identically named packages.
13 To clarify myself, Portage does need functionality to deal with
14 duplicates.
15
16 In the meantime, we shouldn't ever commit ebuilds with conflicting
17 names. That's been stated policy for some time, but the policy guide
18 hasn't been updated to reflect it, unfortunately.
22 Jon Portnoy
23 avenj/irc.freenode.net
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list