From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mozilla: Firebird-bin & Firebird-cvs
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 18:23:04
1 On Wednesday 28 May 2003 07:06, Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 > Policy is to avoid naming conflicts by using different names whenever
3 > possible.
4 Um, I don't think we have any policy on this matter. I was bringing this issue
5 about a month ago and found that some devs believe we cannot have duplicate
6 names (or avoid them whereever possible) others think oterwise...
7 There was a thread initiated by not very happy user whose ebuild was renamed
8 with the explanation that portage cannot reliably deal with this situation,
9 however later on he found two identically named packages.
10
11 The thread was on -dev and I think general consesus was that it would be nice
12 to allow duplicate names, we only need to make portage stop and ask for
13 clarification if duplicates are found during emerge (emerge search is fine
14 already). I think there is even a bug about this..
15
16 I remember doing a search for duplicates and finding there were multiple.
17 Therefore it is not just a simple issue of enforcinf different names on all
18 new packages.. Unfortunately that conversation did not finish up at that
19 time, however this might have made it into udder project.. Nonetheless IMHO
20 it would be nice to settle on certain policy so that we can at least avoid
21 increasing inconsistency..
22
23 George
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list