From: William F Pearson III <william@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mozilla: Firebird-bin & Firebird-cvs
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 23:53:13
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 <snip>
5 | The thread was on -dev and I think general consesus was that it would
6 be nice
7 | to allow duplicate names, we only need to make portage stop and ask for
8 | clarification if duplicates are found during emerge (emerge search is
9 fine
10 | already). I think there is even a bug about this..
11 <snip>
12 | Nonetheless IMHO
13 | it would be nice to settle on certain policy so that we can at least
14 avoid
15 | increasing inconsistency..
16 |
17 | George
18 |
19
20 Oops, Sorry George, this lists operates differently than my LUG's
21 mailing list, and I'm sure that's not the last time I'll make that
22 mistake. :) Here's what I had to say:
23
24 I'm an end user, but I subscribe to gentoo-dev to stay current on the
25 direction of Gentoo, and give my input when I feel it could be helpful.
26 I think the package names should be intuitive, so if i know a program is
27 named "foo" i can "emerge foo" and install that package. Of course there
28 is always the possiblity that there will be "app-editors/foo" and
29 "net-www"/foo, but as an end user I might not be aware of one or the
30 other of these packages. The best recourse, from my perspective, would a
31 message from portage that looks like the same output from "emerge -s
32 foo" so if I typed:
33 #emerge foo
34 I would get:
35 Portage has returned more than one app named foo, which one would you
36 like to install?[1,2]
37 1 app-editors/foo
38 ~ version: 0.0.1
39 ~ homepage: foo.com
41 2 net-www/foo
42 ~ version 0.1.0
43 ~ homepage: foo.org
45 :
46 Of course this is easy for me to say because I doubt I'll be the one
47 coding it, and this feature would probably slow down portage a little
48 for any emerge, because it would have to check for duplicates first for
49 all emerges. I'll shut up now, but I couldn't resist giving my 2 cents.
50 - --
51 - -
52 William F. Pearson, III
53 william@××××××××.net