From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Firefox bloat Was: chromium ...
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 03:09:28
1 On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 02:36:27 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > FWIW, the australis thing never really affected me much. I had some
5 > extensions (and configuration mania guified native options) changing
6 > the look somewhat before, and have some extensions (and config mania
7 > options) changing the look somewhat now. It did take me several
8 > hours (between configuring and extension browsing) to get the new UI
9 > setup to something I was comfortable with, but then I'm used to that
10 > any time I change desktop (kde) major versions as well, and this was
11 > a comparable change. I've never seen a desktop GUI I was entirely
12 > comfortable with as shipped and I don't expect I ever will, and with
13 > the browser being used /as/ a desktop more and more these days, and
14 > most people including me spending more and more time in it even when
15 > they don't use it /as/ the desktop, it's reasonably comparable, and
16 > the australis GUI intro /was/ in practice /quite/ comparable to a
17 > major desktop upgrade, so I /expected/ to need to spend that time
18 > reconfiguring the GUI and extensions after the australis upgrade, and
19 > it wasn't a big deal for me.
20 >
21 > Tho I can definitely see the problem for people who actually /do/
22 > find a GUI they like (or have trained themselves to like) without
23 > having to reconfigure/customize it, only to have the thing moved out
24 > from under them once they are used to it. It's just that I'm not
25 > such a person, and both the before and after were and remain
26 > impressively configurable with extensions, so I never had that
27 > problem.
28 >
29 > I am rather disturbed by bloat such as pocket, reader, and hello, but
30 > config mania has options to disable hello, and I got rid of the
31 > pocket icons as well, so the reader icon appearing in the address bar
32 > (which BTW also has much of the not-so-awesome disabled, config mania
33 > again), so at least I can keep them out of my face, even if they
34 > remain part of the too- large audit footprint, etc.
35
36 Again, my frustration was not *just* with "new look and feel", but that
37 the implementation details are both lethargic in comparison to the
38 previous model, and introduce a *constant* conflict with every tab
39 extension.
40
41 Every time you open the configuration, your vertical tab bar gets
42 relocated to the top of the screen, and you have a giant configuration
43 interface that is simply less useful than the previous one.
44
45 And sometimes this "move all the things" breaks the interface requiring
46 a restart to return back to working.
47
48 The browser gets into a schizophrenic confusion where configuration
49 wants tabs to be a certain way *just* to configure things, but the user
50 doesn't want those tabs to be configured that way, and has to design
51 their new look-and-feel in the knowledge that it will all shift
52 somewhere else when you close the configuration UI.
53
54 I don't care for a "fancy" look and feel, and I don't want to have to
55 have *technical* and usability issues introduced to provide such
56 look-and-feel I never asked for.
57
58 This is thus not a problem merely introduced with "Getting it how you
59 like it", but is a problem that becomes a new problem that flares up
60 every time you want to change a thing, because one of the things that
61 is not to your liking is the configuration UI itself, and there's no
62 meta-configuration-UI to eradicate *that*
63
64 Its like every other special snowflake application that decides it
65 needs some "special" user interface that deviates substantially from
66 the generic ones provided by their windowing toolkit.
67
68 It all ends in hate.
69
70 However, seems like Palemoon is an acceptable compromise to me.
71 Some things are a bit out of touch, but it is responsive and does what
72 I tell it to, and I don't feel so enslaved to the whims of some
73 designer at mozilla who is tasked with making Firefox more like Chrome.