From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: USE flag "suid" in both use.desc and use.local.desc
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 08:22:17
1 Walter Dnes posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 01:44:25 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > Moving USE flags from local to global status is frequently discussed
4 > here, so this seems to be the right forum to raise the issue...
5 >
6 > [d531][waltdnes][~] grep suid /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc
7 > suid - Enable setuid root program, with potential security risks
8 >
9 > [d531][waltdnes][~] grep :suid /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc
10 > [several package hits]
11
12 This is now routine. Try it with the "bindist" USE flag (and see the
15 Promoting a flag to global does mean it gets a global description in
16 use.desc, but per package descriptions (as now maintained in the per-
17 package metadata.xml files, but there's a tree maintenance script that
18 keeps use.local.desc current based on the metadata files, to keep the
19 tools using it working) continue to be encouraged where they are useful,
20 as they can often provide much more detailed per-package descriptions of
21 what the flag actually does in that specific package, than the global
22 description can.
23
24 > BTW, I would've appreciated a headsup (news item) on Xorg getting the
25 > "suid" USE flag. I use startx, and I couldn't start X <G>.
26
27 OTOH, I followed the gentoo recommendation to do a dry run (emerge --
28 pretend or --ask) and actually LOOK at what's changing in terms of USE
29 flags, etc, look any of the new ones up I'm not sure on (equery uses
30 <pkg> in another terminal works), then if necessary, say "no" to the --
31 ask and make USE flag changes, etc, before going ahead with the "live"
32 run.
33
34 As such, I saw the change (which is even colored differently so it's easy
35 to pick out), did a quick equery uses xorg-server in a different window
36 to see what was going on, and decided to go ahead. In my case, I didn't
37 have USE=suid set at all in make.conf, so the xorg-server ebuild's use-
38 default to ON was in effect, and I didn't have a problem.
39
40 (I was curious, however, as I'd been reading about running X as non-root,
41 and after seeing that the upgrade did work with the same SUID executable
42 it had before, I remerged without SUID to try it out, much faster the
43 second time with ccache and since I wasn't doing other builds at the same
44 time. THEN I ran into the problem you did, but that was the only change
45 I made and it was deliberate, so I knew the problem and could immediately
46 undo it.)
47
48 Gentoo isn't a hand-holding distro. The changes were there to be seen in
49 the recommended emerge --pretend or --ask, and adjusted if needed before
50 hand, and you chose not to take advantage of that. I guess some people
51 just have to find out the hard way why such recommendations are there.
52
53 Of course, if you prefer a distro that makes such decisions (and takes
54 responsibility for them accordingly) for you, there's plenty of distros
55 around that offer more of that than gentoo does. If you don't have the
56 time or patience to do the dry-runs and check changes before going thru
57 with them, perhaps one of those would be more appropriate. There's no
58 shame in deciding that gentoo's simply not an appropriate distro for your
59 needs, and choosing one of the others instead.
60
61 All that said, more documentation and warning wouldn't have hurt, and the
62 news feature was designed for exactly this sort of thing. Except that
63 the package maintainer has to think of it, and I guess they didn't in
64 this case. But it still shouldn't have been a problem as a responsible
65 admin had plenty of warning already, via the USE flag change itself.
66
67 > Fortunately,
68 > that was on my netbook, and I was able to Google the solution on my
69 > desktop machine... http://en.spontex.org/forum/thread/561/1/ I'm
70 > posting a heads up on the user list.
75 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman