From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [LARGE MESSAGE] Media-sound reorganization! [shrink section]
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 00:50:50
1 On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 18:43 -0800, George Shapovalov wrote:
2 > Some recent philosophical, err :), psychological studies concluded that person
3 > normally deals best with 7-9 objects simultaneously. Less than that and you
4 > have to make your "chain of command" unnecessarily deep. More than that and
5 > you start spending more time searching around or trying to remember what
6 > every one of these these is about. (Don't remember where I saw it now; my
7 > wife is a psychologist, that's most likely where :)).
8 >
9 > This is essentially the reason why we use hierarchies so widely. If every
10 > person was able to easily memorise and deal with indefinitely large lists we
11 > wouldn't be organizing stuff at all, why bother if you can just come in at
12 > any moment and pick exactly that regularly gray box of standard size in a big
13 > pile on the floor :). Now, that 7-9 is an average. I believe the deal is that
14 > every person has some individual "most effective number" but the distribution
15 > peaks somewhere in that range and is not very wide..
16
17 Working memory is indeed about 7 items (people claiming much more are
18 most likely incorrectly tested). Hierarchies are useful allright, but
19 there are certainly better ways to interact with large quantities of
20 information, eg. visualizations, spatial information.
21
22 > Incidentally we have exactly 8 major top-level categories ;) :
23 > app-, dev-, games-, mail-, net-, sys-, www-, x11-
24
25 Well since it's all major-minor laid out, i think the effect of the 8
26 items is already growing weaker (you still get a listing of a few dozen
27 dirs). Plus the fact that the major category layout has sort of ad-hoc
28 evolved & as such has little meaning, there is clearly overlap in the
29 major categories already.
30
31 Personally i think the current lay-out is therefore not really fit to be
32 searched in a meaningful way. A more strict & deeper lay-out would help
33 in some sense, but also it introduces the problem of packages (and there
34 are a lot) that fit multiple categories. I don't think it's needed to
35 change the current existing lay-out to improve package searching, the
36 right way to go is abstract the rather random categories idea away by
37 creating a fast & smart searching tool.
38
39 - foser