From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: sub-slots (for EAPI 5)
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 19:56:48
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 07/09/12 03:25 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
5 > On 07-09-2012 12:03:16 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
6 >> On 09/07/2012 11:17 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
7 >>> I guess real-life examples, more extensively described than you
8 >>> did before, with exactly where it goes wrong, and how the
9 >>> situation is improved would help.
10 >>
11 >> Perhaps some of the greatest frustrations for Gentoo users stem
12 >> from the lack of support for automatic rebuild of packages when
13 >> necessary. Imagine how nice it would be if necessary rebuilds
14 >> would automatically occur when appropriate, so that you wouldn't
15 >> experience build failures that require you to manually intervene
16 >> by running revdep-rebuild, perl-cleaner, or something like that.
17 >> And there are other kinds of necessary rebuilds that don't
18 >> trigger build failures, but lead to runtime failures that are
19 >> noticed much later (like xorg driver failures after a major
20 >> xorg-server update). Sub-slots can be used to solve the bulk of
21 >> problems like these that our users have had to deal with
22 >> manually.
23 >
24 > I like that! Kudos for making it work!
25 >
26 > I just wonder what the heck that has to do with SLOT. This
27 > discussion has been done before in this thread, and it somehow
28 > settled.
29 >
30 >> ... sub-slots are a relatively simple extension to slot-operator
31 >> deps, and they are poised to greatly improve user experience (via
32 >> automatic rebuilds) if they are included in EAPI 5.
33 >
34 > And we want it. But is it a good idea to add some feature that
35 > feels like just a hack?
39 Originally the sub-slot idea came about because one of the ways
40 "around" all of this broken-and-requiring-afterthefact-rebuilding was
41 to just make everything slotted -- so there would always be multiple
42 slots of everything installed -- and use slot-operators to indicate
43 when things should be re-emerged
44
45 Although this would work, the end result would (imo at least) be
46 horrible on-disk.
47
48 Sub-slots allow the main part of SLOT to still specify what's
49 installed on disk, while allowing PMS to identify and trigger rebuilds
50 for SLOT changes based on slot-operators.
51
52 I see it akin to the '-r' portion of ${PV} -- Used by portage to
53 trigger updates but having very little meaning to the actual version
54 of the package that gets installed. (ok i might be stretching it with
55 this)
56