From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: sub-slots (for EAPI 5)
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 19:26:36
1 On 07-09-2012 12:03:16 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 09/07/2012 11:17 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > I guess real-life examples, more extensively described than you did
4 > > before, with exactly where it goes wrong, and how the situation is
5 > > improved would help.
6 >
7 > Perhaps some of the greatest frustrations for Gentoo users stem from the
8 > lack of support for automatic rebuild of packages when necessary.
9 > Imagine how nice it would be if necessary rebuilds would automatically
10 > occur when appropriate, so that you wouldn't experience build failures
11 > that require you to manually intervene by running revdep-rebuild,
12 > perl-cleaner, or something like that. And there are other kinds of
13 > necessary rebuilds that don't trigger build failures, but lead to
14 > runtime failures that are noticed much later (like xorg driver failures
15 > after a major xorg-server update). Sub-slots can be used to solve the
16 > bulk of problems like these that our users have had to deal with manually.
17
18 I like that! Kudos for making it work!
19
20 I just wonder what the heck that has to do with SLOT.
21 This discussion has been done before in this thread, and it somehow
22 settled.
23
24 > ... sub-slots are a relatively simple extension to slot-operator deps,
25 > and they are poised to greatly improve user experience (via automatic
26 > rebuilds) if they are included in EAPI 5.
27
28 And we want it. But is it a good idea to add some feature that feels
29 like just a hack?
33 Fabian Groffen
34 Gentoo on a different level