From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: sub-slots (for EAPI 5)
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 19:39:08
1 On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 21:25:22 +0200
2 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3 > I like that! Kudos for making it work!
4 >
5 > I just wonder what the heck that has to do with SLOT.
6
7 The correct fix for "not needing to rebuild" stuff is to SLOT libraries
8 like crazy, and have a SLOT per thing-we-don't-call-ABI. This then
9 needs := dependencies, so that packages can say "and remember which
10 SLOT I was built against".
11
12 However, there are some packages that cannot easily be SLOTted to the
13 degree that we'd like. This is where sub-SLOTs come in. Given
14 sub-SLOTted packages dep:1/a and dep:1/b, this says "I'd like to have
15 slots 1a and 1b, but it's too difficult to allow 1a and 1b to be
16 installed at the same time".
17
18 So suppose the user has pkg with a dependency upon dep, with slot 1 and
19 a := operator. They install pkg when dep:1/a is installed. The user
20 then installs dep:1/b. In an ideal world, dep:1/a would remain
21 installed in parallel with dep:1/b, but your friendly Gentoo developers
22 have decided it's not worth their time to allow this. Thus, dep:1/a has
23 to be uninstalled to allow dep:1/b to be installed. But this would
24 break pkg, since pkg needs dep:1/a. However, a clever dependency
25 resolver can note that reinstalling pkg would fix it, since dep:1/b
26 also satisfies pkg's slot 1 := dependency (but not the locked 1/a
27 dependency that the installed version of pkg has picked up).
30 Ciaran McCreesh