From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: sub-slots (for EAPI 5)
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 19:52:23
1 On 07-09-2012 20:36:02 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > The correct fix for "not needing to rebuild" stuff is to SLOT libraries
3 > like crazy, and have a SLOT per thing-we-don't-call-ABI. This then
4 > needs := dependencies, so that packages can say "and remember which
5 > SLOT I was built against".
6 >
7 > However, there are some packages that cannot easily be SLOTted to the
8 > degree that we'd like. This is where sub-SLOTs come in. Given
9 > sub-SLOTted packages dep:1/a and dep:1/b, this says "I'd like to have
10 > slots 1a and 1b, but it's too difficult to allow 1a and 1b to be
11 > installed at the same time".
12 >
13 > So suppose the user has pkg with a dependency upon dep, with slot 1 and
14 > a := operator. They install pkg when dep:1/a is installed. The user
15 > then installs dep:1/b. In an ideal world, dep:1/a would remain
16 > installed in parallel with dep:1/b, but your friendly Gentoo developers
17 > have decided it's not worth their time to allow this. Thus, dep:1/a has
18 > to be uninstalled to allow dep:1/b to be installed. But this would
19 > break pkg, since pkg needs dep:1/a. However, a clever dependency
20 > resolver can note that reinstalling pkg would fix it, since dep:1/b
21 > also satisfies pkg's slot 1 := dependency (but not the locked 1/a
22 > dependency that the installed version of pkg has picked up).
23
24 Thanks. It seems we're there. At last.
28 Fabian Groffen
29 Gentoo on a different level