From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-devel/gcc::mgorny up for testing
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 17:09:23
1 On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 5:05 AM, Anthony G. Basile
2 <basile@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
3 > 0) This reduces code reusability. The eclass is used by sys-devel/kgcc64 in
4 > the tree and (at least) the hardened-dev::musl overlay outside.
5
6 Yes, but while your claim that it reduces reusability is true, I think
7 that's potentially a good thing.
8
9 With all of the logic encoded in that huge eclass, any modifications
10 to it change the code any version of the gcc ebuild executes,
11 including stable versions that you're not thinking about at the time.
12
13 eclasses are pretty great for sharing code akin to a library, but when
14 *all* of your ebuild's logic is in the eclass, well, that's not really
15 the intended use case as far as I can tell.
16
17 glibc does the same thing with "eblits."
18
19 I think I remember Ciaran making the same argument in the past, but
20 much better said than mine.