From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-devel/gcc::mgorny up for testing
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 13:02:56
1 On 12/07/14 05:37, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > If you're interested in testing it, 'layman -a mgorny' and enjoy. I'd
4 > appreciate any bug reports, except for those covering things i've
5 > already listed as missing :). Any further comments will be very helpful
6 > in deciding on the way forward.
7
8 Removing the eclass is a bad idea:
9
10 0) This reduces code reusability. The eclass is used by
11 sys-devel/kgcc64 in the tree and (at least) the hardened-dev::musl
12 overlay outside.
13
14 1) Those version specific conditionals that you don't like give a
15 history/comparison of gcc versions. It is not cruft. It encodes what
16 versions allow what features. Moving to the ebuilds makes this history
17 much harder to read. Think of a diff -Naur when producing a patch. I
18 like the current eclass approach.
19
20 2) Getting this to work with hardened and cross compiling and
21 musl/uclibc is going to need re-writing far beyond the eclass. The gain
22 is in my opinion not worth it given what I suggest below:
25 > If there is a real interest in my fork, I will probably move it to gx86
26 > as sys-devel/gcc-mgorny.
27
28 I don't think we should proceed this way. The way I'd like to proceed
29 is to introduce a new toolchain-r1.eclass which addresses at least your
30 QA issues below. If I understood Ryan's plan with the eclass, it was to
31 simply refactor the phase functions to modernize things but keep
32 backwards compat. When toolchain-r1.eclass is mature, then we switch
33 the inherit. I'd like to keep gcc-2* and gcc-3* around. We could
34 consider cleaning up those ebuilds to work with EAPI=4 or 5 with the new
35 eclass or just leave them with the old eclass.
36
37 Also, no to the name sys-devel/gcc-mgorny. I very much appreciate the
38 excellent hard work you've done on eclasses, but the reason this is
39 happening is because of patches that toolchain lead is not accepting.
40 Anyhow, most of the work with gcc (in my opinion) is with the patches
41 against gcc itself which are housed in ~vapier, ~rhill and ~zorry. When
42 you don't accept my patches to gcc-mgorny, shall I add gcc-basile to the
43 tree?
44
45 I will also be happy to work on replacing
46 > the new versions of original sys-devel/gcc completely. With QA process
47 > against toolchain.eclass if necessary.
50 Let's get the list of QA issues so I at least can work towards a
51 toolchain-r1.eclass if you're not interested in going that way. Also, I
52 take the QA issues seriously, but threatening a QA intervention against
53 toolchain and then acting by forking is heavy handed. QA actions
54 against the current codebase is understandable.
55
56 So to sum, I'd like to see the QA issues (and others) address in the
57 current approache and toolchain.eclass. Since we can make mistakes and
58 since toolchain is fragile, I suggest a toolchain-r1.eclass where we can
59 test (just change the inheritance in gcc ebuilds for testing) and
60 finally, when we're happy, do the switcheroo.
64 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
65 Chair of Information Technology
66 D'Youville College
67 Buffalo, NY 14201