From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Actions of python team, especially Arfrever wrt python eclass and python-3*
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 12:32:18
1 Am 06.06.2010 13:50, schrieb Domen Kožar:
2 >> The current python eclass also uses some vars to specify the supported slots, yes, but it is more
3 >> complex and harder to maintain in addition to the fact, that the dependency part is hidden from the
4 >> package manager.
5 >>
6 >> I dont think, that you can tell portage with the current implementation, that it should only install
7 >> python modules for python-2.6 by default and additionally python modules for python-3.1 for selected
8 >> packages. Portage will also install newer slots of python, even when the user does not request them
9 >> and no package requires them, which will result in unneeded and unused versions on disk.
10 >
11 > Beg my pardon, but that is untrue AFAIK.
12 >
13 > Portage will install packages only for active python version, unless
14 > USE_PYTHON is set.
15
16 And by default, there is an active version for python-2 and an active version for python-3, which
17 means currently an install for e.g. python:2.6 and python:3.1.
20 Thomas Sachau
21
22 Gentoo Linux Developer