From: "Domen Kožar" <domen@×××.si>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Actions of python team, especially Arfrever wrt python eclass and python-3*
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 11:50:32
1 > The current python eclass also uses some vars to specify the supported slots, yes, but it is more
2 > complex and harder to maintain in addition to the fact, that the dependency part is hidden from the
3 > package manager.
4 >
5 > I dont think, that you can tell portage with the current implementation, that it should only install
6 > python modules for python-2.6 by default and additionally python modules for python-3.1 for selected
7 > packages. Portage will also install newer slots of python, even when the user does not request them
8 > and no package requires them, which will result in unneeded and unused versions on disk.
9
10 Beg my pardon, but that is untrue AFAIK.
11
12 Portage will install packages only for active python version, unless
13 USE_PYTHON is set.
14
15 > And if you add a python slot or remove one, portage currently is not able to see that and to
16 > reinstall packages, which had modules installed for that slot. You need another tool
17 > (python-updater) to check that and to call the needed reinstalls.
18
19 I agree with this fact, user should not be required to read additional
20 documenation for portage to function as wanted.
21
22 I'm very unfamiliar with inner workings of portage, but using
23 python-updater implementation, USE_PYTHON behaviour shouldn't be that
24 hard to implement?
27 > With my solution, there are only modules installed for selected slots. And if you have selected a
28 > slot, the related python version is pulled in by portage. If you disable that slot, you can
29 > reinstall those packages with --newuse option and then can remove that python slot with --depclean.
30 > No need for another tool, simple handling by the package manager
31 Explicit is **** than implicit:)
34 Cheers, Domen