From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Actions of python team, especially Arfrever wrt python eclass and python-3*
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 12:42:31
1 Am 06.06.2010 13:50, schrieb Domen Kožar:
2 >> And if you add a python slot or remove one, portage currently is not able to see that and to
3 >> reinstall packages, which had modules installed for that slot. You need another tool
4 >> (python-updater) to check that and to call the needed reinstalls.
5 >
6 > I agree with this fact, user should not be required to read additional
7 > documenation for portage to function as wanted.
8 >
9 > I'm very unfamiliar with inner workings of portage, but using
10 > python-updater implementation, USE_PYTHON behaviour shouldn't be that
11 > hard to implement?
12
13 You want some additional switch to portage, which does the work of python-updater? That would just
14 move the code, but would still have the same limitations. What does speak against explicit user
15 control for optional features/slots, including dependency handling by the package manager like in my
16 proposal?
19 Thomas Sachau
20
21 Gentoo Linux Developer