From: Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANNOUNCE] Project Sunrise - Gentoo User Overlay
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 16:40:09
1 On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 10:13:45AM -0400, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > That and it would become an an official Gentoo BMG-style repo. Please,
3 > let us not officially encourage the ricers. Some of us work very hard
4 > to discourage this type of user behavior.
5
6 I wholeheartedly agree with Stephen on this.
7
8 You should have brought up the idea for the Sunricers project on this
9 mailing for discussion instead of just going ahead and implementing
10 it.
11
12 Personally, I dislike the idea of having officially supported (read:
13 hosted on *.gentoo.org infrastructure) overlays for unmaintained
14 ebuilds for which nobody did any real quality assurance. I fear this
15 will drag Gentoo back into the old-ages of having a reputation of a
16 ricer-distribution; a reputation I for one have worked very hard to
17 get rid of during the past 2 years.
18
19 Please put this project on hold until is has been discussed properly
20 on this mailing list.
21
22 Regards,
23 Brix
24 --
25 Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
26 Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd