From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANNOUNCE] Project Sunrise - Gentoo User Overlay
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 17:00:58
1 Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2
3 > Personally, I dislike the idea of having officially supported (read:
4 > hosted on *.gentoo.org infrastructure) overlays for unmaintained
5 > ebuilds for which nobody did any real quality assurance. I fear this
6 > will drag Gentoo back into the old-ages of having a reputation of a
7 > ricer-distribution; a reputation I for one have worked very hard to
8 > get rid of during the past 2 years.
9
10 I agree here.
11
12 When I decided to help out the overlays project, I thought I had made it
13 clear that I didn't want to support a BMG-style repo on official
14 hardware. It was for things like php, perl, etc that had their own
15 overlay and were actively working out specific issues for their project.
16 What you're proposing goes against what I supported initially.
17
18 There was a lengthy discussion about this months ago, but apparently
19 this group decided to ignore all the points in it and just go with this
20 without consulting the group first. If you can't sort out the issues
21 that have been brought out here, I'm afraid I'm going to have to decline
22 my support on infra hardware for this specific project (but not the
23 other overlays so people don't have a fit :-) ).
26 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
27 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
28
29 ---
30 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
31 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
32
33 ramereth/irc.freenode.net