From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidance on adding kernel config checks to ebuilds
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 20:39:10
1 On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 4:28 PM Jason A. Donenfeld <zx2c4@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 11:44 AM Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
4 > > I think we need to strip out a lot of the crap about trying to detect
5 > > things in the stuff being built, and reduce the check to the simplest
6 > > possible form:
7 > > $ time zgrep -w CONFIG_PACKET /proc/config.gz
8 > > CONFIG_PACKET=y
9 >
10 > The results from our current method could of course be cached, and
11 > even cached between runs, by just relying on `/proc/version` changing
12 > for different kernels. This seems easy enough to do.
13 >
14 > Alternatively, sure, we could require that everyone has /proc/config
15 > in their kernel config. Many kernels don't have this (mine doesn't),
16 > but we could add it to the base requirements.
17
18 I think it would be reasonable to check a couple fallback locations:
19
20 /proc/config.gz
21 /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/.config
22 /boot/config-$(uname-r)
23
24 The slowness really comes from guessing the kernel build location and
25 invoking the kernel build system via make. Avoiding that is a big
26 improvement.