From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <zx2c4@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidance on adding kernel config checks to ebuilds
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 20:28:45
1 On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 11:44 AM Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > I think we need to strip out a lot of the crap about trying to detect
3 > things in the stuff being built, and reduce the check to the simplest
4 > possible form:
5 > $ time zgrep -w CONFIG_PACKET /proc/config.gz
6 > CONFIG_PACKET=y
7
8 The results from our current method could of course be cached, and
9 even cached between runs, by just relying on `/proc/version` changing
10 for different kernels. This seems easy enough to do.
11
12 Alternatively, sure, we could require that everyone has /proc/config
13 in their kernel config. Many kernels don't have this (mine doesn't),
14 but we could add it to the base requirements.