From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Changes to EAPI ban workflow
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 13:34:00
1 On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 11:38:18AM +0100, Marek Szuba wrote:
2 > On 2021-07-11 21:54, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >
4 > > My gut feeling is that having this distinction is useful. However, it
5 > > has been pointed out that we've probably never really had to use it
6 > > (i.e. use the "banned" argument to stop someone from using old EAPI)
7 > > and that the switch from "deprecated" to "banned" state did not really
8 > > affect porting away from old EAPI.
9 >
10 > For the benefit of those not interested in sifting through the logs of
11 > Council meetings, here is a quick reiteration of my take on this:
12 >
13 > 1. Maybe it's my professional bend speaking but it feels to me like we
14 > really should establish a clear, GLEP-documented EAPI life cycle with
15 > well-defined meaning of individual stages. I will work on preparing a
16 > suitable proposal;
17 >
18 > 2. Until the above has introduced a (hopefully) better system, I am all for
19 > removing step 2 because it makes the procedure less bureaucratic.