From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Perl self-tests
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:34:36
1 On Thu October 21 2004 08:45, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Thursday 21 October 2004 07:41 am, Dylan Carlson wrote:
3 > > Some users are reporting memory leaks during dev-lang/perl install,
4 > > where it eats up all of the memory.
5 >
6 > using a lot of memory != memory leak
7
8 I know that perl does memory leak self-tests, but I don't know if that is a
9 normal part of 'make test' or not. Perl's not my core expertise. It's
10 the bug reporters saying there's a memory leak, not me.
11
12 > in reality, why are you asking gentoo-dev and not the perl people
13 > themselves ... they certainly can handle this question since it's been
14 > asked often enough
15
16 It seems they have been asked in bugzilla already. Perhaps it would be
17 good to re-state what the problem is: dev-lang/perl is chewing up all
18 available memory during forced self-tests upon install.
19
20 mcummings closed the bug as CANTFIX in Feb., so that's why I'm asking here.
21 It still appears to be a problem. In my opinion, this self-test behavior
22 should be optional. Right now, there's no choice, and there's no
23 explanation why.
24
25 Self-tests are there for users when functional problems with the perl
26 install occur after install. Therefore one can re-install with the
27 self-tests enabled to debug, but it shouldn't be forced. Maybe there is a
28 critical reason those tests need to be forced, but if so, that hasn't been
29 explained.
30
31 So I see two ways to solve this:
32 1. FEATURES=maketest. If "maketest" isn't there, don't run the tests.
33 2. Less desireable... Run the tests except if "nomaketest" is in FEATURES.
34
35 Cheers,
36 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]
37 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x708E165F