From: David Sparks <daves@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Perl self-tests
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 01:05:21
1 Dylan Carlson wrote:
2 > On Thu October 21 2004 08:45, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >
4 >>On Thursday 21 October 2004 07:41 am, Dylan Carlson wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>Some users are reporting memory leaks during dev-lang/perl install,
7 >>>where it eats up all of the memory.
8 >>
9 >>using a lot of memory != memory leak
12 > I know that perl does memory leak self-tests, but I don't know if that is a
13 > normal part of 'make test' or not. Perl's not my core expertise. It's
14 > the bug reporters saying there's a memory leak, not me.
17 >>in reality, why are you asking gentoo-dev and not the perl people
18 >>themselves ... they certainly can handle this question since it's been
19 >>asked often enough
22 > It seems they have been asked in bugzilla already. Perhaps it would be
23 > good to re-state what the problem is: dev-lang/perl is chewing up all
24 > available memory during forced self-tests upon install.
25 >
26 > mcummings closed the bug as CANTFIX in Feb., so that's why I'm asking here.
27 > It still appears to be a problem. In my opinion, this self-test behavior
28 > should be optional. Right now, there's no choice, and there's no
29 > explanation why.
30 >
31 > Self-tests are there for users when functional problems with the perl
32 > install occur after install. Therefore one can re-install with the
33 > self-tests enabled to debug, but it shouldn't be forced. Maybe there is a
34 > critical reason those tests need to be forced, but if so, that hasn't been
35 > explained.
36
37 Gentoo with its plethora of compiler flags and libs is an environment
38 where the Perl core regression tests really add confidence that the
39 language is working properly.
40
41 That it is failing a regression test may mean that there is a real
42 problem with Perl, hence don't install it. IOW, the suggestions to skip
43 the test suite is bad advice.
44
45 The way to debug this is to run the test standalone -- that way it
46 outputs useful diagnostic information that may help in understanding
47 where the problem is. The failed build should leave the build
48 environment behind, ie:
49
50 rock # cd /var/tmp/portage/perl-5.8.4-r1/work
51 rock perl-5.8.4 # ./perl lib/Config.t
52 1..36
53 ok 1 - use Config
54 ok 2 - Config has more than 500 entries
55 ok 3
56 ok 4 - PERL_REVISION is 5
57 ok 5 - PERL_SUBVERSION is defined
58 ok 6 - PERL_SUBVERSION is aliased to SUBVERSION
59 ok 7 - PERL_VERSION is defined
60 ok 8 - PERL_VERSION is aliased to PATCHLEVEL
61 ok 9 - PERL_CONFIG_SH is defined
62 ok 10 - PERL_CONFIG_SH is aliased to CONFIG
63 ok 11 - has cc
64 ok 12 - has ccflags
65 ok 13 - has no python
66 ok 14 - has d_fork
67 ok 15 - has no d_bork
68 ok 16 - ivsize is 4 or 8 (it is 4)
69 ok 17 - byteorder is 1234 or 4321 or 12345678 or 87654321 (it is 1234)
70 ok 18 - byteorder is as long as ivsize (which is 4)
71 ok 19 - has ccflags_nolargefiles
72 ok 20 - myconfig exported
73 ok 21 - config_sh exported
74 ok 22 - config_vars exported
75 ok 23 - config_re exported
76 ok 24 - myconfig
77 ok 25 - config_sh
78 ok 26 - config_re
79 ok 27 - config_vars cc
80 ok 28 - config_vars d_bork is UNKNOWN
81 ok 29 - no STORE
82 ok 30 - still no d_bork
83 ok 31 - no DELETE
84 ok 32 - still d_fork
85 ok 33 - no CLEAR
86 ok 34 - still d_fork
87 ok 35 - sig_num_init size
88 ok 36 - sig_name_init size
91 I took a look at bug 34705 but didn't see anything that might point to
92 where the problem is. The output of the test that hangs would be useful.
93
94 ds
98 > So I see two ways to solve this:
99 > 1. FEATURES=maketest. If "maketest" isn't there, don't run the tests.
100 > 2. Less desireable... Run the tests except if "nomaketest" is in FEATURES.
101 >
102 > Cheers,
103 > Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]
104 > Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x708E165F