From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Perl self-tests
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 02:35:24
1 On Thu October 21 2004 21:05, David Sparks wrote:
2 > Gentoo with its plethora of compiler flags and libs is an environment
3 > where the Perl core regression tests really add confidence that the
4 > language is working properly.
5
6 I disagree. Confidence for who... Gentoo developers? Perl can break
7 despite automated tests. That's pretty much true for any application.
8 Automated tests are mainly a tool for upstream and OS developers updating
9 perl versions, such as when we decide to version bump and ~mask.
10 Optionally for downstream user-developers who are seeing problems with a
11 perl application and need to be sure it isn't perl itself.
12
13 Forcing everyone to go through the torture tests is unnecessary, especially
14 since it causes problems for some people. It should be optional. That is
15 what "maketest" and src_test is for.
16
17 Cheers,
18 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]