From: David Sparks <daves@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Perl self-tests
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 01:38:31
1 Dylan Carlson wrote:
2 > On Thu October 21 2004 21:05, David Sparks wrote:
3 >
4 >>Gentoo with its plethora of compiler flags and libs is an environment
5 >>where the Perl core regression tests really add confidence that the
6 >>language is working properly.
9 > I disagree. Confidence for who... Gentoo developers?
10
11 Confidence for the person who just built and installed Perl.
14 > Perl can break
15 > despite automated tests. That's pretty much true for any application.
16 > Automated tests are mainly a tool for upstream and OS developers updating
17 > perl versions, such as when we decide to version bump and ~mask.
18 > Optionally for downstream user-developers who are seeing problems with a
19 > perl application and need to be sure it isn't perl itself.
20
21 These tests are not only for the P5P devs. They should always be run to
22 verify Perl was correctly built. Bugs can be introduced into Perl from
23 outside the Perl sources via libs, compiler, etc.
26 > Forcing everyone to go through the torture tests is unnecessary, especially
27 > since it causes problems for some people. It should be optional. That is
28 > what "maketest" and src_test is for.
29
30 What is wrong with "forcing" the test suite? And they aren't torture
31 tests either, they are tests of core functionality and regression tests
32 to make sure that fixed bugs do not re-appear. I don't agree that
33 validation of a programming language can be considered optional. The
34 P5P devs have worked hard to provide a comprehensive test suite and the
35 ebuild should take advantage of it.
36
37 There are no known bugs in the test suite (that I'm aware of). If Perl
38 fails the test suite after being built, then that Perl does not work
39 properly and should not be installed.
40
41 IOW, never, ever install Perl if it fails the test suite!
42
43 Cheers!
44
45 ds