From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Perl self-tests
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:52:11
1 David Sparks posted <417DA53C.8010403@×××××××××××.com>, excerpted below,
2 on Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:15:40 -0700:
3
4 > I don't agree that validation of a programming language can be
5 > considered optional. The P5P devs have worked hard to provide a
6 > comprehensive test suite and the ebuild should take advantage of it.
7 >
8 > There are no known bugs in the test suite (that I'm aware of). If Perl
9 > fails the test suite after being built, then that Perl does not work
10 > properly and should not be installed.
11 >
12 > IOW, never, ever install Perl if it fails the test suite!
13
14 As an AMD64 user myself, I'd tend to agree with this. Programming
15 languages are and should remain an exception. I don't have maketest on,
16 but for gcc, perl, python, etc, I'd expect it to continue to run the tests
17 (as I would with glibc). The alternatives are just too unpleasant to
18 think about, including the one where bugs get filed on the wrong apps
19 because that's where they appear, while it was the on-site installation of
20 the language interpreter/compiler used to run/compile them that was the
21 problem.
22
23 If it's not passing the tests, I'd prefer to have it kept off my system.
24 There should be a possible override if specific tests fail in specific
25 circumstances, yes, but it shouldn't be easy to set it by default.
26
27 Editing a single line in the ebuild, with a suitable comment outlining the
28 consequences, is a good balance, IMO. A handy example of the policy at
29 work in another common ebuild would be the single strip-flags line in
30 xorg. Quoting the ebuild, "If you do not like it, comment it, but do not
31 bugreport if you run into problems."
32
33 Of course, with perl as a programming language, that would have to be...
34 "but do not bug report, on perl, or any package that is perl based, if you
35 run into problems."
36
37 If an admin decides to go to it after that, with all the lack of support
38 and potential problems implicit in that warning, well, he pretty much
39 deserves any headaches he may be causing himself. Unfortunately, that
40 doesn't mean he'll honor the warning and not cause Gentoo devs headaches
41 as well.
42
43 As for maketest being a feature, perhaps we need a package.features in
44 portage now as well, defaulted as with package.mask, but with an
45 /etc/portage/package.features option as well, for those who wish to use
46 it. Then maketest could be left off by default as a general feature, yet
47 turned on by default for packages like perl (and gcc?)
48
49 As it is, I'm obviously in favor of leaving the perl tests in there, for
50 whatever that opinion counts from /this/ Gentoo ~amd64 user.
54 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
55 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
56 Benjamin Franklin
61 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list