From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Perl self-tests
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:33:52
1 On Tue October 26 2004 03:52, Duncan wrote:
2 > As an AMD64 user myself, I'd tend to agree with this.  Programming
3 > languages are and should remain an exception.  I don't have maketest on,
4 > but for gcc, perl, python, etc, I'd expect it to continue to run the
5 > tests (as I would with glibc).  The alternatives are just too unpleasant
6 > to think about, including the one where bugs get filed on the wrong apps
7 > because that's where they appear, while it was the on-site installation
8 > of the language interpreter/compiler used to run/compile them that was
9 > the problem.
10
11 I'm not advocating disabling tests one way or another. GCC's testing is
12 critical, since it is the Sweet Mother of Everything. Python is critical
13 to Gentoo. I don't offhand know what Python does during compile & install
14 (and I'm not going to remerge it just for this email, ;). Perl is not as
15 vital at the core, but almost always installed because of a dependency
16 somewhere.
17
18 In the absence solving a particular problem, my inclination is there should
19 be wiggle room to make tests optional. The tests seem merely a sanity
20 check to me. Given that perl only has 3 people managing 400+ packages, it
21 doesn't surprise me these tests are forced. There's probably not enough
22 manpower to test every angle on every arch. Also, if the tests are a
23 significant problem for many users, we would have heard more complaints...
24 I think. I raised the issue in principle only.
25
26 On making it optional... I guess it depends on whether we intend to run the
27 tests by default or not. -maketest to disable tests-by-default would be
28 ugly. That's illegal usage, IMO. Alternative: create a local USE, e.g.
29 'noperltests', move the tests out of src_test, skip tests if flag is set.
30
31 Cheers,
32 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]
33 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x708E165F