From: Ed Grimm <paranoid@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Perl self-tests
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 03:28:22
1 On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Dylan Carlson wrote:
2 > On Tue October 26 2004 03:52, Duncan wrote:
3 >> As an AMD64 user myself, I'd tend to agree with this.  Programming
4 >> languages are and should remain an exception.  I don't have maketest on,
5 >> but for gcc, perl, python, etc, I'd expect it to continue to run the
6 >> tests (as I would with glibc).  The alternatives are just too unpleasant
7 >> to think about, including the one where bugs get filed on the wrong apps
8 >> because that's where they appear, while it was the on-site installation
9 >> of the language interpreter/compiler used to run/compile them that was
10 >> the problem.
11 >
12 > I'm not advocating disabling tests one way or another. GCC's testing is
13 > critical, since it is the Sweet Mother of Everything. Python is critical
14 > to Gentoo. I don't offhand know what Python does during compile & install
15 > (and I'm not going to remerge it just for this email, ;). Perl is not as
16 > vital at the core, but almost always installed because of a dependency
17 > somewhere.
18
19 I agree with Duncan. Packages that are a basis for many others, such as
20 languages and many libraries, should require any tests they include be
21 run. I would also put X, KDE, GNOME, and bash in this list as well.
22
23 I know a number of people who've been very hostile about perl tests
24 being required, due to it not being correctly ported to their platform,
25 but everyone that I know who bypassed those tests, who used perl on
26 other OSes, was *very* sheepish afterwards (some took a while, because
27 they didn't use the borken features at first, but eventually they were
28 all sheepish). Turns out, the tests had actually discovered real
29 problems that hadn't yet been addressed.
30
31 Ed
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list