From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Perl self-tests
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 02:42:46
1 On Friday 22 October 2004 10:31 pm, Dylan Carlson wrote:
2 > On Thu October 21 2004 21:05, David Sparks wrote:
3 > > Gentoo with its plethora of compiler flags and libs is an environment
4 > > where the Perl core regression tests really add confidence that the
5 > > language is working properly.
6 >
7 > I disagree. Confidence for who... Gentoo developers? Perl can break
8 > despite automated tests.
9
10 umm, yes, but that's the entire point of src_test() ... it gives us confidence
11 that we're arent chasing ghost bugs
12
13 it's proven itself in the past to catch bogus build environments which is why
14 it's stuck around for so long as the default
15
16 ive had the tests segfault on me ... and you know what ? my build env
17 sucked ... i would have NEVER noticed this if it wasnt for the tests ... i
18 went back, fixed my env, and BAM perl worked fine
19 -mike
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list