From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 22: New "keyword" system to incorporate various userlands/kernels/archs
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 16:37:43
1 begin quote
2 On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 01:18:07 +0900
3 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
7 okay, I snipped the whole thing here.
8
9 we went away from "package.mask" and try to avoid that, due to other
10 issues as well.. one big file increases maintainance problems due to
11 sync, conflicts and other such things. As well as Staleness. Having a
12 huge list like that is bothersome.
13
14 How many oldtime devs have spent a few hours cleaning out package.mask
15 from commited conflict entries, finding who did what and why theres an
16 unusual amount of >>>>>><<<<< in the file?
17
18 I think we were quite a few who did that on a regular basis, mainly
19 because cvs made it a headache to work with it. Graining it out to
20 metadata inside each package made for a faster and more controlled way
21 of dealing with things.
22
23 //Spider
28 begin .signature