From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] <>-DEPENDS
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2015 14:42:07
1 Sent from an iPhone, sorry for the HTML...
2
3 > On Sep 7, 2015, at 8:35 AM, Marc Schiffbauer <mschiff@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > Hi,
8 > I'd like to propose a new kind of DEPEND syntax: <>
9 >
10 > This would mean "Any version but the one specified" and is usefull when
11 > you have a dependency on another package but a single version of it is
12 > not compatible for example.
13 >
14 > I currently have this case in app-backup/obnam which is not compatible
15 > to =dev-python/paramiko-1.13.0
16 >
17 > In DEPEND I now have this:
18 >
19 > !=dev-python/paramiko-1.13.0
20 > || ( <dev-python/paramiko-1.13.0 >dev-python/paramiko-1.13.0 )
21 >
22 > which does the trick, but I think much more straight forward would be:
23 >
24 > <>dev-python/paramiko-1.13.0
25 >
26 > which would be the exact opposite of =dev-python/paramiko-1.13.0
27 >
28 > An alternate syntax would be (but I'd prefer the former):
29 >
30 > !=dev-python/paramiko-1.13.0
31 >
32 > What do you think and would is the proper way to suggest this for a new
33 > EAPI? A new bug? On what?
34 >
35 > TIA
36 > -
39 Why not just:
40
41 DEPEND="
42 dev-python/paramiko
43 !~dev-python/paramiko-1.13.0
44 "
45
46 Depend on the package but block the individual atom(s) that don't work?
47
48 Given that there will be *very few* valid use cases for this type of syntax I don't know if it's such a good idea to add it. I expect adding this new syntax would be more likely to cause issues via improper usage than it would add a benefit or fill any massively pressing need...