From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: 2004.2 Feature Requests
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 03:40:43
1 On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 01:46:00PM -0400, Jerry McBride wrote:
2 >
3 > Move all documentation to html and place it into a directory that apache can
4 > disseminate from. Having a central, online, browseable doc tree would be
5 > beautiful. Priceless...
6
7 Which documentation?
10 > Move away from the filesystem database that portage currently uses to
11 > something with a bit more perfomance... mysql, sqlite even postgres... An
12 > SQL backend interface would be WONDERFUL.
13 >
14 > Port portage to c or c++. Python sucks in the performance department... If
15 > not port to c then atleast start using psyco for a small perf boost...
16 > Rebuilding the cache (reading files) after a sync is... terrible... What a
17 > kludge...
18
19 The performance issues are db-related, nothing at all to do with Python.
22 > Work on eliminating the constant caching of dependencies and other caching
23 > processes during boot up... On some of my boxes, these caching periods take
24 > longer than it does for KDE to boot to a usable desktop... What a drag on a
25 > laptop that I use to display linux with.... It's the first thing that
26 > windows advocates point and laugh at... Give me a break and cache the damn
27 > things when changes are MADE, not everytime you boot the box...
28
29 It shouldn't be recaching everything at boot time AFAIK. Run depscan.sh.
32 > We need a better portage tool that easily displays ebuild dependencies...
33 > Can epm finally be completed so it offers the same functions for portrage
34 > that rpm has for it's own packages?
35
36 emerge --tree?
39 > Tone down the amount of noise that emerge prints to the screen when using
40 > it. I don't need or want to see maybe 99.99% of all the stuff it prints
41 > during it operations. All you need is... either "THERE WAS AN ERROR" or
42 > "THERE WERE NO ERRORS". That in and of itself would boost performance a
43 > lot!... Less console updates, more cpu for the task at hand... Less user
44 > confusion...
45
46 emerge blah > /dev/null
47
48 That will only display stderr.
51 > PROGRESS BARS...PROGRESS BARS...PROGRESS BARS...PROGRESS BARS...PROGRESS
52 > BARS...PROGRESS BARS...PROGRESS BARS...PROGRESS BARS...PROGRESS
53 > BARS...PROGRESS BARS...
56 How would you calculate progress bars for most operations? They would be
57 meaningless at best...
60 Jon Portnoy
61 avenj/irc.freenode.net
64 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list