From: Stephen Becker <geoman@g.o>
To: Jeff Smelser <tradergt@×××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE 3.2.3
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:45:14
1 > An hour to bump? That seems out of hand. And no, I am not saying YOUR taking
2 > to long. :) The process itself
3
4 At least an hour, if not more. The problem is that not only do the kde
5 packages need to be stable, but that all packages that kde can possibly
6 depend on need to be stable also. And deps of the packages that kde
7 depend on need to be stable...and the deps of those deps need to be
8 stable...etc. It's not just a rule of thumb or anything...it's really
9 how it works.
10
11 > I have seen on this list before, why not create some automated way of bumping
12 > ebuild that have sitting untouched for x number of days? You can still
13 > release it early if need be but it can help out on the forgotten or no time
14 > for ebuilds that sit?
15
16 I won't go back through the numerous reasons this is a horrible idea at
17 the moment. Point is, this has been mentioned several times and it
18 always shot down in flames, for very good reasons. Something like this
19 would be horrible for QA, especially on some non-x86 archs.
20
21 Steve (geoman)
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list