From: Jeff Smelser <tradergt@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE 3.2.3
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:35:46
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Friday 09 July 2004 12:17 pm, Caleb Tennis wrote:
5 > Your concern is a valid one. The simple fact is that we are short handed.
6 > This is true for all of Gentoo, not just KDE. I've been spending my time
7 > the past few weeks testing 3.3.0_beta1, not running 3.2.3. I've upgrade
8 > kdenetwork with the patched kopete since this time as well. There's no
9 > main reason KDE has sat in ~x86 this long other than I simply haven't
10 > gotten around to bumping it. The fact is that, with the way portage is
11 > structured and the commands you have to use to properly make the
12 > submittals, it takes me well over an hour to bump a version for KDE.
13 > Considering the fact that it's volunteer time on my part, it gets put down
14 > on my priority list.
15
16 An hour to bump? That seems out of hand. And no, I am not saying YOUR taking
17 to long. :) The process itself
18
19 > So, if you want to be part of the solution, start being proactive in
20 > helping to fix bugs and get ebuilds submitted.
21
22 I am kinda laughing when I say this. I don't because I have seen ebuilds sit
23 in bugs.g.o for months. No one wants to pick them up because they don't have
24 time to maintain more. I got sysklogd-sql I would love to submit and
25 maintain. I am afraid if will sit in bugs.gentoo.org though.
26
27 > It just so happens that the point you make gets made quite frequently, be
28 > it on a mailing list, in IRC or in bugs.g.o, and it gets to be a bit
29 > frustrating to have to try and explain over and over again. I'm not upset
30 > or mad or anything at you, I understand where you're coming from with your
31 > post, but look at things the other way around: some of us developers have
32 > been doing this "volunteer" job for a long time now; it's a bit frustrating
33 > with someone comes along and basically throws out a "someone really should
34 > be more on top of this" attitude, which is what is perceived.
35
36 Its not. Its a look into how this process can be quicker, yes, but I am here
37 to help if I am needed. But just like you said, which is what I was afraid
38 of, 3.2.3 is ready, its just not been done.
39
40 I have seen on this list before, why not create some automated way of bumping
41 ebuild that have sitting untouched for x number of days? You can still
42 release it early if need be but it can help out on the forgotten or no time
43 for ebuilds that sit?
44
45 > That said, there's absolutely no harm in kde sitting as ~x86 for 3.2.3.
46 > It's still completely installable, and portage is configurable enough so as
47 > to not complain to you to downgrade.
48
49 But this becomes rather cumbersome having to do this all the time. Again, kde
50 isn't the only one having this issue.
51
52 Jeff
53 - --
55 Jabber: tradergt@(smelser.org|jabber.org)
56 Quote: Have you hugged your volcano today?
67 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list