From: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE 3.2.3
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:20:33
1 On Friday 09 July 2004 12:03 pm, Jeff Smelser wrote:
2 > I think your getting my intentions wrong here. I am not trying to be a
3 > prick and hurry you up. I am a avid gentoo following and want this distro
4 > to succeed. You, as a developer, need to realize that we are all here for
5 > one cause. I am here to find the problem. And if I can be part of the
6 > solution, so be it.
7
8 Your concern is a valid one. The simple fact is that we are short handed.
9 This is true for all of Gentoo, not just KDE. I've been spending my time
10 the past few weeks testing 3.3.0_beta1, not running 3.2.3. I've upgrade
11 kdenetwork with the patched kopete since this time as well. There's no main
12 reason KDE has sat in ~x86 this long other than I simply haven't gotten
13 around to bumping it. The fact is that, with the way portage is structured
14 and the commands you have to use to properly make the submittals, it takes me
15 well over an hour to bump a version for KDE. Considering the fact that it's
16 volunteer time on my part, it gets put down on my priority list.
17
18 So, if you want to be part of the solution, start being proactive in helping
19 to fix bugs and get ebuilds submitted.
20
21 It just so happens that the point you make gets made quite frequently, be it
22 on a mailing list, in IRC or in bugs.g.o, and it gets to be a bit frustrating
23 to have to try and explain over and over again. I'm not upset or mad or
24 anything at you, I understand where you're coming from with your post, but
25 look at things the other way around: some of us developers have been doing
26 this "volunteer" job for a long time now; it's a bit frustrating with someone
27 comes along and basically throws out a "someone really should be more on top
28 of this" attitude, which is what is perceived.
29
30 That said, there's absolutely no harm in kde sitting as ~x86 for 3.2.3. It's
31 still completely installable, and portage is configurable enough so as to not
32 complain to you to downgrade.
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list