From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: USE=libav as replacement for broken || ( libav:= ffmpeg:= )
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 19:49:36
1 On 01/26/2015 03:57 AM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 09:19:19 -0800
3 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >>> what MichaƂ claims is that 'foo' will want ffmpeg, no matter what.
6 >>
7 >> Maybe he's talking about some case where portage failed to trigger a
8 >> rebuild when appropriate. We've had a number of bugs like this that
9 >> have been fixed. The most recent recent example is bug 531656 [1].
10 >
11 > Yes I know about this one :) To be honest I find it much more
12 > difficult and convoluted (?) than the present case, yet you fixed it.
13
14 I like to handle as many cases as practically possible, because the same
15 heuristics may be applicable to many other cases that haven't been
16 reported yet.
17
18 > Even worse: there has been tree-wide changes made because of this
19 > (removal of := from all || ( ffmpeg:= libav:= )) instead of filling
20 > portage bugs... which I consider just plain wrong and was in fact my
21 > initial rant.
22
23 Well, the ability of portage to handle a particular type of dependency
24 construct does not necessarily imply that this type of dependency
25 construct should be encouraged.
26 --
27 Thanks,
28 Zac