From: Galevsky <galevsky@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Seeking questions for a user survey
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:42:11
1 On Jan 15, 2008 4:05 AM, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
2 > I was really speaking mostly of the people who
3 > dislike the *idea* of an Installer for Gentoo, and then go and bash it
4 > as much as they can without providing any real evidence or reasons,
5 > except for the old faithful "it's against the spirit of Gentoo" reason,
6 > which is a complete fallacy. Again, Gentoo is about empowering the
7 > users to make their own decisions. No, I won't say Gentoo is about
8 > choice, because that is *STUPID* in that it gives people an excuse to
9 > argue about even the biggest piece of junk being added to our tree or
10 > supported, as if we have to, to give them the "choice". Instead, I
11 > prefer the concept of empowering the user to make their own choices,
12 > where they can choose to add anything that they want in their personal
13 > overlay, as we have given them the tools to do so. Now, if a user wants
14 > to use an Installer and someone wants to write the code, who are you (or
15 > I) to say that they are in the wrong? After all, isn't it that idea of
16 > empowering the user *really* the spirit of Gentoo?
17 >
18 > I think so.
21 I am very pleased to hear from someone who knows the basis of any
22 opened community rules :)
23 To deal with the top-priority issues and drive Gentoo to the right
24 direction, there is the council in charge of helping devs to go where
25 it needs. But restraining users -or devs- projects is not the right
26 way.
27
28 Gal'
29 --