From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: phajdan.jr@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE=gui? (was: About how to handle wxGTK based packages with gnome profiles)
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 08:12:01
1 On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 09:12:16 +0200
2 ""Paweł Hajdan, Jr."" <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 4/10/12 8:58 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
5 > > Other option would be to enable "wxwidgets" by default for that
6 > > profiles.
7 >
8 > I prefer this. Changing USE flag meaning in a counter-intuitive way
9 > (to let "gtk" mean "wxwidgets") would seem frustrating to me.
10 >
11 > With "wxwidgets" enabled by default people will get the most likely
12 > desired result (i.e. GUI) "out of the box", and setting
13 > USE="-wxwidgets" will have desired effect.
14 >
15 > Note that with USE="gtk" really meaning USE="wxwidgets", -wxwidgets
16 > would have no effect on such a package, which is the potentially
17 > surprising behavior I mentioned earlier.
18
19 On the other hand, we should ask ourselves whether the USE flags are
20 very intuitive right now.
21
22 Say, we have USE=ssl which enables SSL support. We already agreed
23 that's the correct meaning of it, and USE=gnutls,openssl,nss are just
24 to be used when there's more than one implementation to choose from.
25
26 Shouldn't we have USE=gui in a similar fashion? Most of the devs
27 probably prefer the way 'I want GUI only if it's using my favorite
28 toolkit'. But users OTOH may prefer saying 'I want GUI in this app, no
29 matter what it uses'.
30
31 This would probably handle the wxwidgets case most correct, having it
32 under USE=gui or similar.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny