From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting version-related tree policies
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 17:44:47
1 On 03/11/16 01:20 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 12:11 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> 1. Revision number must be no longer than 9999:
5 >> 1a. to make <=X-r9999 reliable,
6 >> 1b. to prevent pathological uses of revision as date.
9 > Let's just hope nobody starts using tex version numbering and so on.
10 > Dates might be used in cases where upstream doesn't publish sane
11 > revisions (in fact, texlive versions are dates, albeit at the year
12 > level).
13 >
14 > I'm not saying this isn't a good idea, I just could see where it might
15 > crash into reality at some point.
18 This is just the revision portion though, that's not part of the
19 version number from upstream. IIRC, the revision is meant to only be
20 used for gentoo ebuild changes, isn't it?