From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Making 2 local use flags to global
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:26:15
1 On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 15:54, Spider wrote:
2 > its a possible runtime dep, and very necessary if you wish to use
3 > sound-juicer to actually encode sound into flac, which would be the
4 > forseeable idea here.
5 >
6 > i think our RDEPEND is the best fitting clause right now, but that might
7 > just be another limitation we hit in portage as-is :)
8
9 Nah, i think it is outside the scope of what portage is supposed to
10 handle.
11
12 > Same goes for rhythmbox i think. Having a user look around for the
13 > rather implausble name "gst-plugins-flac" to make it play the sound is
14 > sorta strange.
15 >
16 > (No, I don't expect anyone to know that gst-plugins-flac is the right
17 > thing to install to get rhythmbox to play flac, and sound-juicer to
18 > encode to flac ..)
19
20 Education would be needed, that is no reason to add it (this is still a
21 TODO since the introduction of separate gst plug-ins). The fact is you
22 don't need the plug-in to build or use both applications without
23 problems, you should compare it to xmms plug-ins really.
24
25 In these specific cases i can see why a use flagged dep would be
26 arguable a reasonable addition, but essentially the applications do not
27 have to limit their in or output plug-ins. Where do you stop adding new
28 unnecessary use flags for non-essential plug-ins ? I'd say stop right
29 now.
30
31 - foser
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list