From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Making 2 local use flags to global
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:06:38
1 begin quote
2 On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:32:07 +0100
3 foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
4
5 > On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 14:34, Spider wrote:
6 >
7 > > But ok, sound-juicer can well do with a flac use flag.
8 >
9 > That is debatable, it is after all neither a buildtime or runtime dep
10 > and in the strictest sense shouldn't be there (like it is now). It
11 > would be a convenience type of dep. Actually that is mentioned in the
12 > rhythmbox ebuild in relation to gstreamer deps (where the situation
13 > differs from the better gst integrated s-j).
17 its a possible runtime dep, and very necessary if you wish to use
18 sound-juicer to actually encode sound into flac, which would be the
19 forseeable idea here.
20
21 i think our RDEPEND is the best fitting clause right now, but that might
22 just be another limitation we hit in portage as-is :)
25 Same goes for rhythmbox i think. Having a user look around for the
26 rather implausble name "gst-plugins-flac" to make it play the sound is
27 sorta strange.
28
29 (No, I don't expect anyone to know that gst-plugins-flac is the right
30 thing to install to get rhythmbox to play flac, and sound-juicer to
31 encode to flac ..)
32
33 //Spider
36 begin .signature
37 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
39 end