From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eudev project announcement
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 14:20:12
1 On 12/15/2012 01:33 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 05:16:48AM +0100, Peter Stuge wrote
3 >
4 >> I hope that eudev wants to do the respectable thing for any fork, ie.
5 >> work hard to minimize the amount of wasted effort in both projects by
6 >> sharing much code and bugfixes.
7 > That would be nice if systemd/udev upstream was agreeable. On the
8 > other hand, if the systemd/udev maintainers had accepted bug reports
9 > ("WONTFIX" is not acceptance) and had accepted proposed patches, there
10 > wouldn't have been a need for the eudev fork in the first place.
11 > Lennart Poettering has admitted systemd's outright hostility to to
12 > standalone udev...
13 > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-August/006066.html
14 >
15 >> Well, we intent to continue to make it possible to run udevd outside
16 >> of systemd. But that's about it. We will ***NOT POLISH THAT, OR ADD
17 >> NEW FEATURES*** to that or anything.
18 >>
19 >> OTOH we do polish behaviour of udev when used *within* systemd
20 >> however, and that's our primary focus.
21 >>
22 >> And what we will ***CERTAINLY NOT DO IS COMPROMISE THE UNIFORM
23 >> INTEGRATION INTO SYSTEMD FOR SOME COSMETIC IMPROVEMENTS FOR
24 >> NON-SYSTEMD SYSTEMS***.
25 >>
26 >> (Yes, udev on non-systemd systems is in our eyes a dead end, in case
27 >> you haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day when we
28 >> can drop that support entirely.)
29 > They've essentially announced ahead of time that most bugs from
30 > non-systemd users would be closed with WONTFIX. Actually, for political
31 > reasons, I hope that eudev does submit a bunch bugs+patches, and gets
32 > them rejected. Then whenever anyone complains about not sharing code,
33 > show them a bunch of WONTFIX emails from systemd/udev maintainers.
34 >
35 I'm not interested in forming that kind of relationship with the systemd
36 people. I actually have some issues I'm thinking of passing their way.
37 But I will limit myself to only those thing which I believe will make
38 systemd/udev better. I hope they pass the same sort of bugreports/fixes
39 our way for a standalone udev consistent with our project goals.
40
41 I respect Poettering's position in that email whether or he respect
42 mine. They have their priorities and we have our. I say that without
43 any hard feelings. Its the way things should work in open source. The
44 only downside to forking is a division of effort. It pulls me away from
45 my other projects. But that's my freedom. And now I'd better stop
46 before I start sounding like Stallman.
49 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
50 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
51 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
52 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
53 GnuPG ID : D0455535