From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: runlevels in runit
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 08:14:36
1 On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 02:16:20AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > What about putting the rebuild in a non-pkg_config function, then hooking
3 > up that function to BOTH the above, so users can choose automatic rebuild
4 > if they like, and regardless of whether they've done so, they can run
5 > emerge --config runit any time to rebuild it independent of remerging the
6 > entire package?
7
8 The problem is when to make it happen automatically.
9
10 It will need to happen automatically when you upgrade to the new release
11 I'm working on, 2.1.1-r2, only because I want to get the
12 /etc/runit/runsvdir path out of the package contents. Once that happens,
13 I can't think of a reason for the runit package to automatically touch
14 that directory during upgrades.
15
16 A first install might also be a case where it should be set up.
17
18 Another possibility could be a change in the runit package itself that
19 leads to a change in the default runlevels.
20
21 Other than that, once this is set up, it doesn't need to be touched
22 automatically.
23
24 > Meanwhile, based on a decade plus of gentoo user experience, in practice,
25 > emerge --config is obscure enough that using it in an ebuild tends to
26 > hide it. If that's deliberate and the intent is a mostly one-shot
27 > first-configuration run[1], emerge --config is a good choice. But if the
28 > idea is to make configuration more routinely accessible not to hide it,
29 > an alternative such as an eselect module or the various individual
30 > package config tools (gcc-config for gcc, the rc-* tools for openrc, etc)
31 > should be considered instead.
32
33 Think of /etc/runit/runsvdir as being similar to /etc/runlevels in OpenRc.
34 It is a directory that gets set up once, then only the admin should
35 mess around in there by adding or removing directories (runlevels) and
36 symbolic links to services.
37
38 William