From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: runlevels in runit
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 08:40:17
1 William Hubbs posted on Mon, 24 Feb 2014 02:14:54 -0600 as excerpted:
2
3 >> Meanwhile, based on a decade plus of gentoo user experience, in
4 >> practice, emerge --config is obscure enough that using it in an ebuild
5 >> tends to hide it.
6
7 > Think of /etc/runit/runsvdir as being similar to /etc/runlevels in
8 > OpenRc.
9 > It is a directory that gets set up once, then only the admin should mess
10 > around in there by adding or removing directories (runlevels) and
11 > symbolic links to services.
12
13 Hmm... Then pkg_config does seem an appropriate "hiding" and the parallel
14 to bind is even more striking. IIRC, when it massively reorganized the
15 chroot, it put an ewarn in pkg_postinst with some instructions, including
16 asking people to re-run emerge --config bind. IIRC it did NOT run that
17 reconfigure itself.
18
19 Now making it a USE flag is a bit different, but the idea of making the
20 function independent and simply calling it from both pkg_config and
21 (conditionally on the use flag) pkg_postinst or whatever does seem
22 reasonable to me.
23
24 And (as you may well be aware) I'd very likely disable that USE flag here
25 (well, USE=-* and not enable it elsewhere), because my init setups tend
26 to make rather complex use of advanced out of the ordinary corner-case
27 features, thus the reason I ultimately ended up on openrc-9999 and
28 generally git-logging every single change before I even install the
29 update, let alone reboot. But hey, I've found and reported a number of
30 openrc bugs so they could be fixed before they ever appeared in a release
31 over the years as a result, too. =:^)
36 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman