From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: runlevels in runit
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 23:15:39
1 On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 08:39:33AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > William Hubbs posted on Mon, 24 Feb 2014 02:14:54 -0600 as excerpted:
3 > > Think of /etc/runit/runsvdir as being similar to /etc/runlevels in
4 > > OpenRc.
5 > > It is a directory that gets set up once, then only the admin should mess
6 > > around in there by adding or removing directories (runlevels) and
7 > > symbolic links to services.
8 >
9 > Hmm... Then pkg_config does seem an appropriate "hiding" and the parallel
10 > to bind is even more striking. IIRC, when it massively reorganized the
11 > chroot, it put an ewarn in pkg_postinst with some instructions, including
12 > asking people to re-run emerge --config bind. IIRC it did NOT run that
13 > reconfigure itself.
14 >
15 > Now making it a USE flag is a bit different, but the idea of making the
16 > function independent and simply calling it from both pkg_config and
17 > (conditionally on the use flag) pkg_postinst or whatever does seem
18 > reasonable to me.
19
20 I looked over how bind does this, and it doesn't use a use flag.
21 it just provides instructions for the user to run emerge --config.
22
23 The /etc/runit/runsvdir directory is purely optional actually. It is
24 upstream's recommended way to set up runit to support runlevels if runit
25 is replacing sysvinit. However, a user can set up the service directory
26 on their own.
27
28 So I'm wondering if it is reasonable to just provide instructions to
29 users to run emerge --config?
30
31 William