From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anti-spam changes: proposal to drop spammy mail
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 14:59:16
1 On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 10:44 AM, C Bergström <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > What I'm describing is not "gmail" - it's everything that gmail has
3 > and offers, but @gentoo.org domain. I'm using it right now in fact.
4 >
5 > You get the web interface, IMAP, POP, 2 token authentication (if you
6 > want to enabled it) and lots of other things. etc etc
7
8 How about the source code?
11 > It used to be free, but now google charges for it with an exception
12 > for non-profits.
13
14 The social contract isn't about free-of-cost. In fact, Gentoo pays
15 for a number of services (often below commercial rates, but not
16 everybody can afford to donate 100% of what we need). We've even paid
17 for a bug bounty on one occasion. The social contract is about
18 free-as-in-freedom. We don't depend on proprietary services as much
19 as possible.
20
21 We even have debates over the use of github, since the pull request
22 side isn't really FOSS. It is tolerated mainly because we have FOSS
23 alternatives as well, and bugzilla is still the primary bug
24 tracker/etc. To the extent that github is just used as a hosting
25 provider for git it is completely compatible with the social contract,
26 and would be so even if we were paying for it.
27
28 All that said, being non-profit we still try to use donations of
29 services anytime we can. Our mirror network is probably the biggest
30 example of this - we have an insane amount of mirror bandwidth and
31 there is no way an org of our size could afford to pay for it on our
32 own. Next time you do an emerge --sync take a look at the
33 hostnames/MOTDs/etc and be sure to appreciate them in some way.
36 Rich