From: "C Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anti-spam changes: proposal to drop spammy mail
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 15:21:44
1 On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 9:59 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 10:44 AM, C Bergström <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> What I'm describing is not "gmail" - it's everything that gmail has
4 >> and offers, but @gentoo.org domain. I'm using it right now in fact.
5 >>
6 >> You get the web interface, IMAP, POP, 2 token authentication (if you
7 >> want to enabled it) and lots of other things. etc etc
8 >
9 > How about the source code?
10
11 Do you have the source for github?
15 >> It used to be free, but now google charges for it with an exception
16 >> for non-profits.
17 >
18 > The social contract isn't about free-of-cost. In fact, Gentoo pays
19 > for a number of services (often below commercial rates, but not
20 > everybody can afford to donate 100% of what we need). We've even paid
21 > for a bug bounty on one occasion. The social contract is about
22 > free-as-in-freedom. We don't depend on proprietary services as much
23 > as possible.
24 >
25 > We even have debates over the use of github, since the pull request
26 > side isn't really FOSS. It is tolerated mainly because we have FOSS
27 > alternatives as well, and bugzilla is still the primary bug
28 > tracker/etc. To the extent that github is just used as a hosting
29 > provider for git it is completely compatible with the social contract,
30 > and would be so even if we were paying for it.
31
32 There are "free" alternatives and this is the exact same thing as
33 github. IMAP and POP are comparable to git as google hosted apps is
34 comparable to github. There's a line between being passionate and
35 ignoring a sensible good alternative. I can't say where to draw that
36 line, but imho I hope pragmatic people will take a look instead of
37 just dismissing it.
38
39 Oh and btw - the whole problem comes because people are forwarding to
40 gmail. Is that open source? It's clear a large number of people
41 already use and depend on the exact same service I'm suggesting. How
42 on earth could those same people object... (I don't see the open
43 source communit up in arms over yahoo mail and gmail..)
44
45 /* I'm just trying to level the conversation in terms of "social
46 contract" and what people generally find acceptable */
47 Do you own a phone that connects to this email? Android, iOS.. etc
48 aren't "open source", but somehow we survive..